EML Team are an established event management and logistics specialist, with almost two decades of expertise delivering team building experiences. We offer over 50 mobile workshops and events; each strategically tailored to meet the objectives of our clients. The mobile nature of our activities has enabled us to work with thousands of organisations, in locations all over the world. We understand what it takes to create a successful event that leads to ongoing team cohesion, collaboration and employee satisfaction.
We’ve created this webpage for business owners and management leaders looking to gain motivated, high performing team members to take their business to the next level. If you’re looking to develop highly skilled, motivated teams, while creating a rewarding and positive work environment, this webpage explains how to invest in team development activities that generate lasting and quantifiable results.
Businesses that invest in the professional growth of their teams through team building enjoy increased employee satisfaction and higher levels of engagement and loyalty. In financial terms, this leads to lower staff turnover; reducing the costs and responsibilities associated with sourcing and training replacements. Teams of engaged employees that work together cohesively are also more efficient, more resourceful, better at resolving conflict, and easier to manage. These benefits equate to increased profitability and a healthier work environment.
Whether you’re managing a small team or a large organisation, executing a successful team building event can be an intimidating task. With a variety of personality types, interests and departmental goals to account for, how do you coordinate an enjoyable, memorable and effective activity that delivers long term value?
There are five main considerations that contribute to the success of a team building event:
1. Evaluating areas for improvement and establishing a team building strategy based around realistic goals.
2. Choosing activities that encourage team bonding and develop skills that add value in the workplace.
3. Choosing offsite activities that create a memorable environment for learning.
4. Choosing an established, reputable and professional team building events company to organise and deliver your event.
5. Using the insights gained during the event to reinforce positive performance back in the workplace.
We’ll cover each of these factors in further detail, explaining how to avoid common pitfalls that can reduce the value of your team building investment.
Team building encompasses a wide spectrum of group activities designed to increase morale, improve working relationships and increase efficiency in the workplace. Unlike team training, which concentrates specifically on teaching practical skills, team building focuses on improving the interactive processes that lead to increased dynamism and workplace productivity; such as communication, unity, positivity, creative thinking and problem solving.
Effective team building is highly strategic and should always be focused around achieving clearly defined business goals. Therefore, to choose activities that will improve performance and productivity, it is essential to evaluate the dynamics at play within your organisation and establish the outcomes you would like to achieve. Team building activities can then be designed to meet your specific needs.
Common goals associated with team building include:
- To define or renew focus around key company objectives
- To identify strengths and weaknesses within a team
- To improve processes and procedures
- To increase morale, motivation and leadership during periods of pressure or expansion
- To increase creativity and collaborative problem solving
- To break down communication barriers between departments or within teams
- To invest in skills-based training in a high impact learning environment
- To increase confidence and trust within an organisation
- To integrate new team members into existing teams
An effective team building strategy also recognises that building a cohesive, highly productive team is an ongoing process where lessons learned during offsite activities are regularly reinforced and goals are re-evaluated as your business adapts and grows.
Failure to establish specific goals in advance of choosing a team building event can lead to activities that lack clear purpose, relevance or function. At best these are a fun day out but a costly day of wasted productivity. At worst, they can damage credibility and reduce confidence within your organisation.
While strategic, professionally executed team building creates lasting benefits for your business, choosing impactful activities to galvanise your teams is no small challenge. The greatest difficulty arises from catering for a diverse range of personalities, each with unique preferences, confidence levels and skill sets. To be motivational and memorable, the activity must be challenging, enjoyable and educational, while also being suitable for all participants. This is where poor quality team building events fail to hit the mark.
Poorly executed or ill-considered team building activities waste valuable time and resource and are considered counterproductive by employees. Fear of losing credibility or investing in team building activities that employees find tedious or irrelevant often leads to organisations choosing purely recreational team bonding activities. This is acceptable if you are only seeking a temporary increase in morale and social interaction but prove a poor use of resource if you need to resolve specific workplace problems or teach skills that will have a positive impact on your business.
To be effective and offer long term value, team development activities must achieve the optimum balance of fun and workplace relevant training to meet your strategic goals. Using the principle of learning through play, team building activities promote essential business skills such as planning, resource management, project management, time management, and leadership through practical and creative challenges, simulations and workshops.
To reinforce relevance and deliver value, each session should conclude with a debrief that focuses on how to use the lessons learned to increase workplace performance; leaving teams feeling positive and energised.
To continue the momentum and create lasting change, it’s important for managers to reinforce the skills learned back in the workplace, setting immediate, medium and long-term goals to work towards as a team. Creating a positive reward system for team achievement increases motivation to succeed, encourages healthy competition and inspires a positive mentality throughout your organisation.
Conducting team building activities offsite provides a fresh environment for employees to interact outside of the confines of their everyday roles. By participating in unfamiliar group activities, team members must rely on each other to overcome challenges. Managers gain a unique perspective into the true dynamics of how their teams and departments interact with each other under pressure. This highlights weaker areas to address with training back in the workplace and positive behaviours that should be encouraged and rewarded to create a culture of excellence.
Offsite activities also offer the following benefits over workplace team building activities:
- A rewarding environment - Employees feel valued and supported when organisations show commitment to training and growth.
- A sense of occasion – Removing employees from their workplace surroundings creates a sense of importance and focus.
- Removes distractions – Offsite activities remove all disruptions and provide a dedicated environment for learning.
- Inspires creativity – Uplifting or exhilarating environments increase motivation and positivity, creating a fresh atmosphere to get the best out of your employees.
- Encourages social interaction – While workplace roles typically restrict social interaction, offsite activities remove these barriers. Employees gain the opportunity to see each other in a new light, removed from daily pressures or the confines of their job description. This leads to increased team bonding, camaraderie and dynamism.
- Allows individuals an opportunity to shine – Offsite activities allow employees to demonstrate attributes and talents that may have gone unnoticed in the workplace. This enables managers to spot leadership potential or valuable skills that could be put to more effective use within their teams.
- Fun – Fun is often one of the most overlooked benefits of offsite activities, yet productivity and creativity flow freely when employees are able to resolve challenges in a fun, rewarding atmosphere.
While offsite team training activities offer significant benefits for your business it is important not to overlook the logistics of organising a successful event. Therefore, it is imperative to account for each of the following factors:
- Location and venue hire
- Catering and comfort facilities
- AV equipment hire
Delivering an enjoyable, polished event that meets your budget and specific business goals is a delicate balance that takes experience, planning and organisation. Choosing a professional team events management service to organise, manage and facilitate your activity covers the time-consuming logistics and allows managers to actively participate or oversee the event. As leaders, it is important to have full visibility over your teams during the activities. This level of involvement is not possible if you are engaged in delivering an activity yourself.
Professional team events companies, such as EML Team, specialise in conducting motivational group training activities and workshops targeted towards helping organisations resolve specific challenges. The best companies offer an extensive choice of activities to suit every budget and preference or can create bespoke activities designed to meet your unique requirements.
When choosing a team building company, it is critical to partner with an established, reputable team events specialist, with a proven track record for facilitating high impact, goal-oriented group learning in rewarding and enjoyable environments.
- Always check credentials. Videos taken from previous events, case studies and client testimonials will enable you to confirm service quality and assess whether the event management style on offer supports your company ethos.
- Always establish who will be responsible for organising the venue and the logistics.
- A quality company will take the time to understand your business needs prior to recommending activities.
- Ensure you receive a full agenda detailing all aspects of the proposed event.
- Find out whether the service includes photos and videos that can be used after the event in training sessions.
Following these steps will help to ensure your event is effectively managed from start to finish and provide you with support to gain maximum value from your activity.
The most rewarding activities taking place outside of the work environment, in locations which bring out the best in your teams. While a professional events management company will be happy to offer advice and information on a choice of suitable activities within your allocated budget, it can be helpful to understand the different types of activity and their role in achieving different goals.
Fresh outdoor experiences energise and invigorate your team. Effective outdoor team building activities include:
- Outdoor Challenges - Build giant catapults, junkyard go-karts, or build bridges against the clock. The success of the challenge depends on full participation from all members to increase engagement and cohesion. Outdoor challenges encourage creative thinking while teaching project management, resource management, delegation and time management.
- Team Sports – Engage in fun, lively activities to promote team spirit. Team sports can be tailored for all physical abilities, from fun games, to competitive survival challenges or a military themed boot camp. Increase unity, motivation and team bonding.
- Treasure Hunts – Treasure and scavenger hunts increase problem solving, communication skills and creative thinking, requiring team work to solve cryptic clues and locate prizes.
Indoor activities provide year-round versatility, as their success is not dependent on the weather. Beneficial indoor team building activities include:
- Wacky Races – Create a custom-built vehicle from a choice of construction materials and tools, culminating in a race.
- Quiz Challenge – Collaborate knowledge to win prizes. Quizzes can be adapted for any topic; including industry specific information all team members must know to succeed in their roles.
- Indoor Multi-Challenge – Perform a variety of activities, from critical thinking tasks to physical activities to demonstrate the variety of skills and talents amongst your team members.
Indoor Construction – From Lego construction to bridge building, activities should encourage budgeting, planning and collaboration to succeed.
- Creative Challenges – Inspire creativity, planning and careful execution of tasks using artistic media, such as art, photography and performing arts.
- Health & Wellbeing – Reduce tension and increase mindfulness to foster a healthy, calm and positive workplace environment.Healthy employees cope better with stressful situations, take less time off work and are able to think more creatively for increased productivity.
Evening activities reduce time lost away from the workplace and encourage teams to let of steam in a social environment. Effective evening activities with increased purpose include:
- Taskmaster Challenges – From quizzes, to quick fire challenges and game show style activities, encourage teamwork and healthy competition, boost morale and share group knowledge.
- Cooking Challenges – Compete in teams to create a variety of tasty culinary masterpieces. Teams learn leadership, delegation, resource and time management.
- Film Awards Ceremony – Work in teams to create a short presentation film. Take a starring role or use your skills behind the scenes. This events teaches presentation skills, pitch delivery, project management and communication skills; culminating in a group viewing of each film and an awards ceremony.
Business workshops and simulations focus on developing professional skills that enable individuals to exert greater influence and credibility within the workplace. Simulations combine theory and practice, enabling employees to develop skills in a risk free environment. Valuable and meaningful team building workshops include:
- Team Communication Workshops – Develop group awareness, active listening and leadership skills. Members must actively think about their contribution, while also learning from others.
- Dragons Den – Teach product development, sales and marketing strategy and presentation skills in a competitive, fun environment.
Event management companies can also create team building experiences that include multiple activities, designed to help businesses tackle several problems in one event.
A successful team building activity requires participants to work together and rely on each other to complete tasks and challenges. Understanding the capabilities and motivations of your team members is important for encouraging dedicated participation.
- Physical activities should be achievable by all team members regardless of athletic ability and team sports should never invade personal privacy or dignity.
- Splitting teams into smaller groups encourages all individuals to contribute, making the best use of the combined talents of the group as a whole.
- Activities underpinned by psychometrics, such as Belbin Team Roles, provide deeper insights and understanding into team mechanics and behaviours that lead to outstanding teamwork.
Since 2002 EML have been working to bring out the best in teams of all sizes and levels of seniority, across a variety of sectors from small business enterprises to multinational blue-chip organisations.
Whether you’re looking to build relationships within a new team, boost morale, prepare a team for a specific challenge, or simply to say thank you to your team for a job well done, EML works with you to create the ideal event to support your business objectives.
Team building events from EML are founded on fun but focused on achieving. We offer enjoyable and memorable offsite activities that deliver key training initiatives without feeling like a day at the office. Our activities are underpinned with psychometric tools including MBTI, Insights, DiSC and Belbin, to help your teams maximise their strengths and reduce HR resources. Our service includes photos and a video captured during the event, which can be used to promote your activities and reinforce the positive lessons learned.
With over 50 experiences to choose from, from practical exercises to sheer entertainment, we provide a positive and professional service for every budget. Each of our events is conducted and supported by our experienced, industry leading team of practitioners, trainers, coaches and facilitators. If you are seeking a truly unique experience, our design consultants can work with you to create your perfect event, in any location you desire worldwide.
We are proud to have achieved Most Outstanding for Team Building Events at the AI Excellence Awards, and CV Magazine’s award for Best Global Team Building Event Consultancy. We are committed to providing our clients with a positive return on investment; leaving your teams energised, motivated and ready for the next challenge.
At EML, we also provide an event management service to assist with venue sourcing, site visits and booking. We can take care of everything from audio visual hire to arranging transportation, catering and entertainment.
We always ask for feedback after every event to ensure our activities add value to your operations. We are always happy to provide client testimonials, or to place you in contact with clients we have worked with, for an honest appraisal of our services.
To find out more about our exciting range of team building activities, or for further information regarding the benefits of choosing EML, why not give us a call on +44 (0)1905 330660 to arrange a free consultation.
EML Event Management & Logistics Ltd: Company No. 04447878
Head Office: EML Team, Unit 5, 130 Worcester Road, Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire, WR9 8AN
London Office: EML Team, 12 Melcombe Place, London NW1 6JJ
Zurich Office: TeamWorks GmbH, Thurgauerstrasse 40, 8050 Zürich, Switzerland
Visit Our Website: https://www.emlteam.com/
Call Us On: +44 (0)1905 330660
Email Us At: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Social Media
Like Us On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EMLEvents/
Follow us On Twitter: https://twitter.com/EMLEvents
View our event pictures on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emlteam/
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLO7Mt4BUxHPPh8p5lUu1uw
Make A Quick Enquiry